Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos
Complements of Mother Nature Network
Turkey is a great source of lean protein and it tastes even better in a wrap, as a lighter alternative to beef tacos.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey or shredded turkey breast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 stuffed green olives, halved
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced veggies: cucumbers, carrots or radishes
- Dash hot sauce to taste
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed skillet, about 1 minute. Add onion. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes until onion begins to brown. Add garlic and saute. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato and red pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Stir in turkey, breaking into small pieces with spatula. Cook until turkey turns gray and releases liquid, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until liquid is reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and cider vinegar. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add olives and raisins. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Heat tortillas over an open flame. Shred Cabbage. Plate tortillas. Add turkey and top with cabbage and hot sauce. Fold and serve.